August 2, 2020
Tax-Free Weekend is upon us!
“What kind of laptop should I buy for my student?” is a popular question we hear every year around this time.
As you shop for a computer for your young learner, consider these three things: RAM, type of Drive, and type of chip
1. For RAM, two scenarios:
- For routine usage, you need at least 8G of DDR4 or 16G of DDR3
- For graphic design or gaming, you need at least 16G of DDR4 or 32G of DDR3
2. Always get a machine with a Solid-State Drive (SSD).
3. Every Windows computer has a chip manufactured by AMD or by Intel. Both are good.
For Intel, get i5 or i7 as the processor:
- i5, 10,000 generation or higher or
- i7, 7000 generation or higher.
For AMD, Ryzen chips are currently in their 3rd (3000) generation. Get a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7, 2nd (2000) generation or higher.
Surface pro 6, Surface Pro 7, and the ThinkPad T15 are all great choices.